To learn how this map can be used in the classroom click here
In this composite map of five West Indian islands, separate maps of Cuba and Hispaniola are flanked on the left by insets of Jamaica, Puerto Rico (here called the island of St. John), and St. Margaret (north of Puerto Rico), and the port of Havana at the upper right. Like the Ortelius map, these early maps of Cuba and Hispaniola are covered with indigenous Taino place names. In addition to the Spanish name, the native names of Haity and Quisqueia are used for Hispaniola, and Taino place names such as Xaragua and Yaguana are used alongside Spanish names. Eventually, the Taino settlements disappeared and their names were permanently replaced by Spanish and French names.
This map is found in the 1630 Dutch edition of the Mercator and Hondius ''Atlas Minor'' issued by Jan Jansson. First published in 1607, this small-format atlas was based on Mercator's larger folio atlas, entitled simply "Atlas" originally published in 1595. This was the first time that title was applied to a book of maps.