In this drawing, the village of Vineyard Haven is viewed from the west or an inland location looking east at the harbor. Although this is a rather unusual perspective for a coastal location, the image focuses on the community's major wharf, the waterfront, and the harbor dotted with many sailing vessels. The drawing is subtitled, The Popular Seaside Summer Resort, suggesting the islands new role as a summer resort. However, it provides ample evidence of the town's earlier reliance on maritime occupations, including two other wharves on the left, a sailor's free reading room, a U.S. Marine Hospital, and four ship captain's residences, two of which (identified by the letters C and M) are situated in the center towards the right foreground. Vineyard Haven, the second largest village on Martha's Vineyard, is the primary village in the town of Tisbury. Located on the north shore of the island, it still serves as the primary port for ferries bringing summer visitors from the mainland. In the background, the island's two other important villages Edgartown and Cottage City are visible. The latter, now known as Oak Bluffs, originated during the 1830s as a summer location for Methodist revivalist camp meetings. Circa 1893.