This map of Boston by B. R. Davies was initially issued in 1842 and published by the Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge.
Among its numerous publication ventures, members of this society, a group of British gentlemen of letters, issued a series of nearly 200 steel engraved maps and plans of "Great Cities". These maps provided an unparalleled understanding of European and American urbanization at the beginning of the Industrial Revolution.
Their Boston map highlights in red the impact of the railroads, showing no less than five rail lines, more than in any other city covered in their publications. Three rail lines enter Boston from the west, another branch extends along the docks of Charlestown, and a fifth enters East Boston from the northeast. In documenting industrial growth, several noxious industries are identified on the town's periphery, such as turpentine and lead factories, a distillery in Roxbury, an iron works in East Boston, and brick and tanning yards in Charlestown.
Relief shown by hachures