This manuscript version of the 1879 Boston view illustrates one of the steps in the process of preparing bird's eye views. It was likely the final finished drawing used in preparing the lithographic stone. Very few such manuscript drawings have survived.
In comparing the two images, it is apparent that the printed version provides a faithful, although not exact, replication of the manuscript drawing. For example, the railroad round house, just left of bottom center, appears as an oval in the manuscript drawing while it is depicted as a circle in the published version. Furthermore, the numbers identifying the prominent buildings appeared in red ink in the manuscript version.
In the published version, creation is attributed to O. H. Bailey and J.C. Hazen. Bailey, who moved to Boston in 1874, was the one of the most prolific view makers, publishing at least 374 views during a career that spanned 56 years.
The manuscript version, however, is attributed to Hazen alone. He was associated with O.H. Bailey in preparing approximately 30 bird's eye views from 1877 through 1880. While it is thought that Hazen was involved primarily with the business side of the enterprise, it appears that he also contributed artistically.
To learn how this map can be used in the classroom click here